Saturday, January 10, 2009

Inspire others, make dreams come true

I was casually talking with someone who was nearing a "significant" birthday that year. She said one of the things she had always dreamed about was to… row. It made me so happy: here was a dream I could help make happen! To this day I get a smile when the e-mail she sent me a few months later flashes in front of my eyes. The message had one line only – written in one inch high letters: "I ROWED!!!"

If you've always wanted to learn to do something, no need to postpone. As the Nike slogan says: "Just do it!" There are many formal or informal ways to learn anything. It is important to know there will always be people not only willing, but actually really happy to help you get started – just like me. Many of those who are already driven by a passion not only “infect” others naturally, but actually have a vocation to engage novices. This is true not only for athletics, but for any other endeavors people have a real passion for. Specifically, if experiencing rowing is your dream, know that many enthusiastic rowers happily get involved in the annual "National Learn to Row Day", usually in early June (Goggle it for identifying local opportunities or contact USRowing at 1-800-314-4769 or members@usrowing.org).

If, on the other hand, you are the one who could help someone finally experience a dream by sharing your passion and knowledge, get involved and make it happen! You will enjoy it every time. Pass it on!

No comments: